View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
funkhoss
EcoModding Lurker

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The inline overdrive you only have to do once. The quick change rear end requires occasional 'adjustment' but I doubt it adds weight or parasitic drag. It's swap meet season right now.
Quick change rearends are cool, but even if I got one for $500 it would be at least $1500-2000 total by the time I figured out brakes, mounting, axles/hubs, modifying the gas tank under the car to fit, etc.

Then I would be worried about long-term durability (especially towing), and the high parasitic losses of a QC rear end are well documented in the racing community. They eat more HP than a 9" Ford rear, which is already less efficient than the GM diffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If you swap the whole axle (twice!), bleeding the brakes would get to be a drag.
I'm planning to put quick disconnects on the brake lines, so I won't have to bleed them each time. I will also make an easily removable bracket for the parking brake cables, so they won't have to be readjusted either.

I'm figuring that with both of those things in place, the axle swap will only take me about an hour or an hour and a half. That doesn't sound like a lot of time to me, and if I schedule all my towing projects together so that I don't have to change it very often, it shouldn't be too bothersome. But I may change my mind after doing it a few times...