View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Dual complete Leaf drivetrains in parallel?

Hello all,

So I've been asking about high voltage systems and paralleling OEM EV motors on a single controller, but I've got a different idea now that sounds - to an ME at least - easier to accomplish, and uses almost all OEM parts as well, to get the same goal: more power.

I'd like to figure out how to run two Nissan Leaf motor/inverter systems in parallel, as well as 2 or more battery packs, possibly also chargers, AC systems, etc. depending on how large the vehicle I put them is. 160kW/560N.m. (215hp/420 ft-lb) should be plenty, similar to a stock early 90’s Ford 351W truck engine. (I am currently considering a 1992-1993 Ford Bronco due to having an NHTSA 4*/5* frontal crash rating without any airbags. 1994 added a driver airbag for a 5*/5* rating, but we’re talking about a 23 year old truck, and wiring harnesses corrode, new airbags are ~$1500, new sensors are ~$250 if available, etc.)

There's a few folks out there who are adapting complete Leaf drivetrains into alternate vehicles and figuring out how many of the OEM bits are needed to keep the system happy enough to still run, so that’s pretty straightforward. The not-yet-figured-out bits are how to integrate the Leaf brake controller into the vehicle’s braking system, so as to get the feedback needed for regen braking. Current theory is that no regen other than throttle-off will be available without the brake controller interfaced. That ought to be figured out before I get a budget, so not worried about that yet.

So, what all is involved in slaving duplicate devices together on a single CANbus? I think EVTV is working on hacking the CANbus commands so they can run the motor/inverter (and other parts like chargers, AC, etc.) standalone with their GEVCU device. That might be the path forward, but if there’s an easier way to “clone” signals or “spoof” the CANbus so that added devices are slaved to the original devices, that would (maybe?) allow using all stock Nissan parts and code.

I can also see the same techniques used to make an AWD dual-motor Leaf, by grafting a second front subframe in place of the rear suspension to hold the second complete drivetrain. The harder part would be figuring out where to put a second battery pack (to handle the current draw – stock pack is rated 90kW and that’s not enough for two 80kW motor/inverters) and how to deal with the extra weight of it – might need to turn the car into a 2-seater.

Thoughts?