View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #2790 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Hi Paul - welcome back!

I have some questions for you and thingstodo (or for that matter anyone who's messed with the IGBT drivers on this board.

I've succeeded so far in blowing up the maindriver board on the 1st gen controller. I've burned up (let the magic smoke out) of the 5V regulator and also fried the DSPIC.

What i'm trying to do is use the separate IGBT boards Paul designed, based on the 2nd gen controller.

I am doing something slightly differently, however. Instead of using an ATTINY to drive the IXDN604 IGBT driver that's used to drive the Isolation transformer, I'm using the main controller's "heartbeat" circuit. In other words, I'm using two of the DSPIC's pins to drive the power supply circuits of the IGBT driver boards. With the proper use of the timing interrupts, i'm able to get a 62.5 Khz signal out of each pin. They are close to 50% duty cycle (about 49.XX) and there is a slight lag. They don't run exacty 180 degrees out of phase, closer to ~165 degrees.

The first time I let the magin smoke out was a stupid mistake of plugging the driver board in backwards.

After rebuilding things - new PIC and 5V rectifier - I tried driving the IGBT driver again with the heartbeat circuit. At first - YEAH! it worked - I was able to get +15, -8.2 volts on the Isolated part of the supply.

Then, for some reason it locked up and then burned up. This time the IXDN604 and the driver board's 24V supply burned up.

Any suggestions, help for getting this running more reliably? I need 4 working IGBT driver boards for this project and I'm having trouble getting 1 to reliably work.

-e*clipse
The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (07-08-2016)