View Single Post
Old 07-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #2794 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I improved the PI loop tuning test so it's successful with a larger range of motors now. The problem was, with some really big motors, in the PI loop test, if you command a current step, properly chosen P and I constants will give convergence in close to 1millisec. So, I had been forcing successful PI loop tuning tests to converge in 2mS for all motors. But yesterday I hooked up a 1.5HP permanent magnet motor, and it required 15ms for convergence. So the test always failed with that motor. Now, I have it run through the possible PI values, allowing 2mS, and if it all fails, then all PI values allowing 4mS, and then 6mS, ... It also halts tests sooner if any oscillation is observed, since oscillation indicates the PI values are too big anyway.
Will the tuning test work with the motor in the vehicle?
On the bench it would be just the motor shaft that needed to move but in the car there may be a motor to flywheel adaptor, flywheel, clutch housing, clutch plate and gearbox input shaft. Would this additional additional weight (inertia) throw off the tuning test?
Just wanted to work out whether i need to pre-test the motor before putting it in the vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
chimchichclick (07-27-2016)