View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
botsapper
PSmodder lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Dark Horse Cometh: RP 968 Porsche | World Time Attack Challenge

The cars normally seen in this forum are all about low drag not high down-force, although my own pickup truck features both.

Delving into the taboo of race cars and down force, I can at least appreciate the way the air is provided a clean release edge at the aft section.
Race car motorsports encourage and pioneer many new engineering ideas and technologies that becomes readily applied to every mass-produced vehicle we drive. From the first rear-view mirror, DOC engines, automatic transmissions, variable electronic control, disc brakes, tire technologies, multi-link suspensions, ABS, traction control, carbon fiber, DSG gearboxes, biofuels, push button ignition, passive and active aerodynamics, driver safety equipment, etc. came from race car experimentation, prototyping and race application. Serious race car aerodynamics study began in the 30's, Wunilbald Kamm's prototype race car (drag coefficient of only 0.25, BMW 328 Kamm Coupe) studies are applied to today's tall greenhouse SUV/CUV/minivan vehicles. These racing examples may be extreme but some effective lessons they learn are shared in future vehicle designs.
The Following User Says Thank You to botsapper For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-15-2016)