View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
Right now the key issue with electrics is range. Cost wise they are still roughly double in price of a comparable gas unit but efficiency is so much greater. The recharge time is at least 45 minutes versus 10 minutes at a gas pump. They really shine in stop-and-go traffic.
I agree. I follow the technology somewhat and root for it, but I'm not going for cordless electric on anything larger than a weedeater at this point, and even a $100 weedeater is frustrating, mainly because the e-industries that compete against gas power won't get together and offer us a single set of charging systems and battery compatibility. When I buy a stinky, loud, unreliable, and overpowered gas weedeater, at least the fuel dispensers from gas stations and from cans work for adding fuel to my machine no matter the brand or product type; at least I can expect that my range will not start dropping every year until I replace my fuel tank; and at least, if I do need a new fuel tank, it won't be the most expensive component on my gas weedeater, or be obsolete wherein I cannot even replace it.

So while I hail the fuel efficiency of electric motors via battery power, I'm not yet a fan. If the e-industry worked more closely together to make their versions of power more competitive, I would be more of a fan.