View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

You keep insisting don't you. But it is a valid question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Highlighted are the pseudoscience sorta things I'm talking about.

Provide definitions of these things....

The blue highlight is where I really see an issue. You are correlating the effects of 4% H2 enrichment to something which I figure is .143% HHO Enrichment. I'm figuring 230CC per minute in an engine inhaling what I roughly figure is 2,400 Liters per minute of air and at 15:1, 160 Liters of Fuel Vapor per minute. So when I divide the 160L by 230CC I get about 700. When I divide 1 by 700, I get .143% HHO enrichment.

I Just can't in my head figure out how a 700:1 ratio of something is going to be able to do much "Domino Effecting" and make an engine 10% more efficient.

And sorry, but in the Non Lug World, a proton with its electron attached is called Hydrogen, if it has a neutron stuck on there, we call it Deuterium which is an isotope of Hydrogen. If there happen to be 2 neutrons stuck to the proton, well that's Tritium. A proton zipping about is called radiation. You are the one choosing to call Hydrogen a proton. What's Oxygen? Octproton? Link for ya
Why don't you go ask a chemist? I have chemists on staff. They call the H+ a proton because, by definition, it is. Hydrogen is just a proton and an electron. In an aqueous solution that electron is often lost and the H+ ion is formed. I know you have a background in the nuclear field, but if chemists use proton as a slang, I can't help them. I just communicate with them.

And the exceedingly small amount of HHO can be effective ( note the word "can") if the conditions are in place to dissociate that hydrogen and cause it to run amok . The H+ ion is called a radical. Other radicals are formed if water is present. Which it is if there is some steam and EGR. That allows the formation of OH- radicals and others such as the famed (in combustion science at least) HOOH radical which was postulated decades ago and has only been detected in recent years using modern detection techniques. These radicals can crash into a carbon chain causing the release of other smaller compounds and more free radicals from the loosed hydrogen. If you look at the Arrhenius rate equation that is used to predict rates of reactions of aqueous solutions ( acid/base reactions) you see a parallel to what is happening in a combustion chamber. The hotter the mix gets, the faster reactions become. If you have certain compounds in the mix, these compounds act as accelerators. Much the same occurs in the engines combustion chamber. It is an INTERACTION. It is not hydrogen as a fuel. You can never make enough hydrogen via on-board electrolysis to fuel a vehicle. But, you can knock off enough hydrogen from the fuel source and start your combustion primed with enough to accelerate said combustion. If conditions are right, these reaction happen in billionths of a second. Repeatedly. Over and over.

Again, the hydrogen to accelerate the combustion comes from the fuel. But, that H is not available until combustion starts. By adding some H2 ahead of time, and in such a conditions that it dissociates and starts reacting, we can be way ahead and see the accelerated combustion we seek.