View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Oceanic815
EcoModding Lurker

02 Escape - '02 Ford Escape
SUV
90 day: 17.99 mpg (US)

87 Comanche - '87 Jeep MJ
90 day: 24.21 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Get a Masterlock adjustable hitch ball so that the trailer rides dead level (or barest forward). Lug nut torque, tire pressure and brake fluid need to be checked at UHaul. It's usually NOT right. Good trailer choice. My 24-mpg one ton still did 18-19 with this trailer (same route covered many times; same speed, etc).
The load will be level or just slightly tilted forward; I have thought this part through with hitch's drop which will be going in the receiver. The load in the bed may also help with the angle as it is only a half-ton truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I'd go with plywood over bed. How to fasten it down is the trick. Needs to be strong.
This may be the easiest and most cost effective method. Perhaps cutting various V-grooves in the sides of a 4x8 plywood for rope threading with foam or shop rags at the peak of the grooves to deter fraying? Also a redundant stretch of rope or paracord tying the board to the truck in case the main lashings fail? The board would hang over the tailgate a little and I do not have a problem with that.

Now that I think about it, it may be a huge sheet of chip board instead of plywood that I have access to.

At any rate, safety first on this.