View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poodwaddle
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Sometimes I think people make a MPG claim based on a best case scenario....
Mileage quotes are like winners in Vegas. Gamblers will always tell you what the won, "I won $1000 last weekend!" They conveniently forget that they let it ride and lost it all 5 minutes later.

"I got 70 MPG coming down Donner Pass the other day... but I got 5MPG climbing up the other side."

That all said, there are subtle differences in vehicles. These full sized vans with the 7.3 diesel are not all the same. The rear end might be geared low for work and acceleration, or high for highway speeds and MPG. Some might have big fat work truck tires with 40 PSI. Others might have street tires that pump up to 80PSI... and are completely worthless on snow. Some are driven by morons who think the accelerator is an on/off switch. So I suppose one could honestly say that highway mileage of a Ford E-250-350 with 7.3 diesel is anywhere between 10 and 20. Some claim higher and are probably lying. Some claim lower and are probably idiots driving a poorly maintained POS... or I could be wrong... it has happened once or twice before.