View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 03:42 AM   #35 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Okay thread revive! I've finally decided I'm switching my FR-S for an MR2 Spyder. I don't use the FR-S much, and so it's sitting there depreciating to the tune of 2k a year without being much fun to drive, so I figured I might as well have a more fun toy that's also cheaper. For less than half the price, an MR-S with 2ZZ would be faster, far more exciting, and much cheaper to own.

Since the FR-S has incredibly low drag and a much newer engine, I'm probably going to see a decrease in highway mpg, while the 500 pound weight reduction will get me some more city mpg. There's a 2ZZ car I'm going to look at but if it doesn't work out I'll get a higher mileage 1ZZ car and swap the engine.

I've talked to the Thai guy who makes the Lambo lookalike kits and he can do the hardtop (advertised at $1833, not bad), but communication is slow and I'm ironing out details but I think it'll work out. Profile is similar to the stock top, but I was surprised by how much I like the looks of an OEM top with a smaller rear window.

The downside of that top is that I may need to cut my own rear window into the back, and I have to pull the front fenders to bolt it on (it wraps over the windshield frame).

So to start I'll be getting that and a spoiler from the same place, hopefully bringing the Cd down from I'm guessing 0.34 ish (a lowered car) to maybe like 0.31 (if it actually knocks 10% of the drag off, that would be amazing), while decreasing lift.

The next aero things that I think would be reasonably easy and cheap to do would be:
-Radiator intake (large sheet of rubber curled up to shrink the duct opening?)
-Rear diffuser (bolt an aluminum sheet on...should be easy enough?)

Things I am not so sure about:
-Radiator exhaust (not confident I can shape it correctly to get any gains)
-Passenger side intake block (the curved shape is probably hard to make...)
-Racing mirrors (the base that bolts onto the door may be hard to fabricate...how hard is it to learn 3d printing software?)

I probably need to buy some stuff to make getting under the car easier, there are a few places where a coroplast sheet would probably do a lot of good.

Last edited by serialk11r; 08-04-2016 at 04:01 AM..