View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
The Prius C is going to be too small for her. She really likes the size of her Jetta Sportwagen. I keep telling her to look at the Prius. She will cave eventually.

So, last night we went to the local VW dealer to see what they had available. Really, not too much. We drove there only Sportwagen, a 2015 with their 1.8T engine. She wasn't impressed. It seemed slower to her and the gas mileage was way lower than her diesel (duh, but she doesn't know). You can also get it with the 1.4T, but that'll have even less power. She also looked at the Golfs, but they were too small for her. So, we took a quick jaunt over to the local Ford dealer which was just across the street. We looked at their C-max, Focus hatch, and the dealer tried to talk to her about the Escape which she wasn't interested in. She seemed to like the Focus hatch, but they didn't have one available to drive and it was already late.

She is interested in looking at other alternatives. Prius or Prius V is a shoe in IMO, and she'll probably look at those at some point. Her 2011 TDI is rated for 39 mpg highway (she does primarily country road driving), so something around that would be what she is looking for. She also really likes the hatch / wagon for utility. I think a Focus with the 1.0L turbo would be nice to try out. I'm not sure its going to have enough zip for her, but thats rated at 40 or 42 hwy depending if you get the SFE trim or not. The regular 5 speed with 2.0L is rated for 36 which is okay, auto trans brings that up to 40 mpg (jeez short gearing much?). She has historically driven manual trans. The Jetta was her first auto in years. She'd be fine with either I think.

Thanks for the help guys. Keep the suggestions coming.