View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Honda CTX700 MC--78mpg (avg).

Seventy-Eight mpg summer time, since beginning to ride again and with some new, Michelin Pilot 4 tires, corrected for trip meter error, which is 2.2% optimistic. This is a warm-weather, commuting average in a mostly-rural, state highway commute with speeds ranging between 57-62. I'm not hypermiling, and I've not modified gearing or anything. This is almost purely stock bike, and it's a mid-sized bike that weighs in at almost 500 pounds bone stock and a 670 cc parallel twin engine. Honda estimates the mpg of my bike at 64. The only time I get that low is below freezing when I may hit 66 or so commuting, but I'll likely not be riding much more in terribly cold weather, as I sold my battery-powered, heated gloves.

The reason it is so efficient, besides the fact that I do drive or ride everything with fuel economy in mind and am mindful of throttle input and avoid idling unnecessarily, is that this particular mc engine comes from Honda's automotive division, and thus behaves and revs more like a car. It hits the rev limit at only 6500; not 9000+ like most motorcycles, and it's peak torque is at only 4750 with 90% available at on 3000-6000. I let the superior torque help me accelerate slowly and smoothly without a lot of high revving or heavy-handed throttle inputs.

Almost everyone with a motorcycle modifies two things: (1) after-market windshield and/or fairing and (2) luggage add-on. I'm no different, as the short little windshield did little to nothing to help with riding comfort, and like most motorcycles, it didn't come with much luggage space. I made both of these choices thinking about which would have the least affect fuel economy. Evidently I made good choices, because if anything, by mpg is better. Most riders' solution to the latter is to add a top box behind the pillion seat, which creates a huge pocket of air to settle behind the rider when a passenger is not on board, but works fairly well with a 2nd rider or saddle boxes or bags, but those are really drag increasers. But I thought, since I don't ride with a passenger and my seat comes off, why can't I just strap a box directly behind me.

Love this site and the information here.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CTP700SB Tail Gate Up.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	20342  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregsfc For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (09-08-2018), Joggernot (08-07-2016)