View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
nasoj007
EcoModding Lurker

Fusion - '08 Ford Fusion SEL AWD
90 day: 21.28 mpg (US)

Big Ol' F150 - '17 Ford F150 XLT
90 day: 15.05 mpg (US)
1995 Honda Civic not so great highway mileage

Hi everyone,

I haven't been a member of this site for very long but I'm already hooked. There's a huge amount of helpful tips and tricks that range from mild to wild... it's great.

Anyway I have a '95 Civic DX automatic and I'm a little bothered by my highway mileage. Driving 98% of the time in the city I get 29 - 32 MPG but driving on the highway 95% of the time I only get 34 - 36 MPG. I drive at... umm gotta do the conversions in my head... 60-65ish mph, the AC's on most of the time but it is during the city driving too, and I don't tend to pass people or drive aggressively. I recently raised my tires pressure to 40psi just before the tank that I got 34+ MPG so I don't even know if the increase is the highway driving or the PSI increase...arrrg. I guess I'll find out after my next fill.

I don't want to resort to some of the more extreme hypermiling techniques out there like boat-tails or EOC but I've tried some Pulse and Glide and turning the engine off instead of long idling. The area I live in is very hilly and don't even get me started on the drivers, so EOC or even Pulse and Glide can be very difficult to do. If you slow down TO the posted speed limit you might get rammed let alone drop below the speed limit . I can coast almost the whole drive from my fiances place but the drive back is all up hill.

I didn't mean to write a novel here but if anyone else have a Civic with an automatice I'd like to here how you do on the highway (probably could have shortened the post considerably by starting with this question lol)?

Thanks.