View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
gasstingy
EcoModding Apprentice

No nickname - '17 Chevrolet BoltEV Premiere
I bought a 2008 Malibu Hybrid new in 2009. The belt-alternator-starter is what they called it on that one. When you had the AC in the correct setting and came to a stop, the engine shut off {along with no compressor operation for the AC} and the AC's fan kicked up to full speed to help with the illusion of staying cool. When I lifted my foot from the brake pedal the B-A-S restarted the car so it could go immediately. I enjoyed the start stop feature of the car more than anything else. However, IIRC, the maximum length of time you could sit before the engine restarted was 90 seconds.

Two memories come to mind about that whole setup.

First, I tried to slip my foot off the brake and smash the gas as fast as I could to see if I could beat the restart. I could not. Maybe others are faster that me, but I was trying pretty hard to see if I could beat it to the punch.

Secondly, when it wasn't blazing hot and I would be caught at a long light, as soon as it would run out of time and restart, I would ease off the brakes and let the car roll forward a couple feet and stop again to get it to shut down again. It worked for me.

I got rid of it because I just couldn't stand getting 31 mpg on my easy commute. I could do way better than that in the Saturn I had before that.