View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
csnyder
EcoModding Lurker

My Dad's old 350 cu in Chevy Cubevan got the same mileage, +/- 2mpg whether running empty or loaded with 2 tons of electrical supplies, if driven at the same speed. He drove it empty with a cabin trailer behind it from Toronto Ontario area to Bakersfield Ca, then back with the truck loaded, as well as more weight in the trailer. He may have driven a LITTLE bit slower with the load, but knowing my old man "swervin' Mervin" I doubt it. He used within $10 of the same amount of gas coming as going.

I also had a 1976 Dodge Ramcharger that gave better fuel consumption with the plow on and pushing snow in the cold than it did cruising around town in the summer. The harder that 318 worked, the happier it was.

My 4 liter Ranger can squeeze about 30 MPG (imperial) out of regular unleaded, or it can slurp it through at the rate of about 9 or 10 MPG - both without a load - so I imagine hauling a load would not make it any better.

My old mini did an average of 49.6MPG over the roughly 20000 miles I drove it - and I used the throttle like a switch. Don't think I ever got over 50, or less than 48. The only car I ever drove that went faster in 3rd than 4th - all 850CCs were going at full gallop all the time.