View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Beth J. Pleasant
EcoModding Lurker

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baver View Post
Hi,

I'm Richard. I've frequented the different eco driving forums as a browser over the last five years or so, but never really getting involved.

Five years ago I began commuting 40 minutes each way without traffic, and my monthly gas bill got ridiculous. I started looking at ways you guys were improving fuel economy without making any changes - basically being easier on the accelerator, constant throttle instead of constant speed over hills, those types of things. These seemed to help, but my '96 Dodge Stratus didn't have any built in eco meters, and I wasn't a fan of having to use my cell phone to monitor an OBD device every time I went driving.

When we got a Nissan Leaf, the changes in how I drove really became noticeable. Hills for some reason, seem to have a more noticeable impact in EVs than in gas vehicles - may just be due to the short range in EVs to start with, but nonetheless it got my attention much quicker.

Anyways, the leaf had to go (we reduced down to 1 vehicle and my wife wasn't up for making multiple charging stops on the way from San Jose to Reno - there's also a region along I-80 that's pretty bleak for chargers), and now we're driving an '11 Camry, which I'm fairly happy with. It's not a hybrid, but the hybrid premium isn't worth it for me now that I don't commute.

I'd probably get a Leaf again as a commuter or 2nd car, though I might look into more "normal" looking cars. I'd actually really like an electric SUV, but I'd be using that for trips to places where charging would be limited - like Yosemite, or other national parks - so I'm worried about practicality.

Anyways, nice to meet you all!
Hi, Richard! I am Beth, nice to see you here!