View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
dkunitz
EcoModding Lurker

Zoomer - '06 Mazda 3 s Touring hatchback
Team Mazda
90 day: 27.38 mpg (US)

Penny - '15 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 20.89 mpg (US)
Welcome to the MZ3--I picked my 2006 version (fuel log) because I felt that it had such better build quality than the other used hatchbacks I looked at and because it only had 63K miles when I bought it in 2014 and I wanted to get back into a manual transmission.

I could get mid- to upper-30s MPG on the highway just by running sidewall max PSI and using DWL, targeting the PSL. DWL is easiest with instrumentation--I have a ScanGuage Velcroed to the top of the steering column so I can watch my realtime mpg to make slight throttle adjustments. I said could because I don't take road trips anymore since my in-laws moved nearby. So now it's all city.

Short trip city driving is a struggle: despite using sidewall max PSI, EOC, DFCO, never idling, DWL, DWB, timing approach to lights and traffic, short & skip shifting, route planning for lights/topography, removing all stuff from my car; I still can't reliably get over 27 MPG driving my 15 minute commute over a tank. The only idea I have is that the car isn't fully warming up.

So, to help my short trip MPGs, I think I'll need to fully block the upper grill, partially block the lower grill, add a WAI, and maybe use an engine blanket.

So, that's my current situation... Are you primarily driving city or highway miles?