View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #52 (permalink)
thepunisher
EcoModding Lurker

Pink Bits - '98 Toyota Starlet Life Max
Team Toyota
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extragoode View Post
Punisher, at least in the US you don't have to register and insure anything unless you drive it on a public road, even then, most states base the cost of the registration on the age of the vehicle. In Iowa, where I am, it's only $50 per standard passenger vehicle per year after they're over 12 years old. Motorcycles are only $10/vehicle/year for 6+ year old bikes and $20/year for newer bikes.
WOW, my Starlet is 18 years old and like I said it costs ~550USD for rego every year to drive it on the road. This goes for cars of any age and size, so my 18 year old 1800lb Starlet costs the same for rego as a 2016 Hummer! However, this high fee does cover hospital/rehabilitation costs (TAC charge) in the event of a crash for anyone involved in a vehicle accident no matter if you have insurance or not. So there is communal benefit for the unfortunate people who of no fault of their own suffer severe injury requiring expensive rehabilitation of which they don't have to pay anything.
I Just wish we could at least get somewhat cheaper rego for smaller vehicles or vehicles producing less emissions.