View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
MPGeo
EcoModding Apprentice

MPGeo - '93 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 67.51 mpg (US)
CYLINDER HEAD UPDATE

Ok, so after 3 days of looking at options and prices... I've decided to bite the bullet, and just repair my head... but not too happy about it

So a word of advise anyone that is going to do a project of this sort, especially on a rebuild... check your valves early on. If they are burnt, AND if you where planning on upgrading to an XFI or other econo cam anyways...

Then you just might be better off buying a head from
3tech Performance

I have not bought anything from them to date, but I've considered it.

You can buy a cyl. head from an auto parts store... say O'reillys for about $400 w/ core exchange... and you can spec that for an XFI for the same price.

Or for the same prize you can buy one from 3TP... their heads will run you about the same, you will get the expertise, and customization to your specific goals, polished, ported, high grade guides... plus you're helping someone closer to you than a corporation ever will be (unless you work there).

Or... your can do like me and buy an XFI cam for for $160, then find out your head will have to be reworked... and none of your spare heads are any better.

So now, I'm $160 into this head due to the XFI cam.
If I buy a 3TP head it will set me back an extra $400

So my option is to keep trucking forward...
So today I bought a set of nitride coated ex. & int. valves, and set of guides for $65
(& $40 for a set of new lifters-but I had already purchased that earlier as I was going to replace them anyhow)

Now I have to take to machine shop... $55 for resurfacing the head, $66 for a valve grind & lap job ($11/ea), That doesn't include installing the valve guides or the valve guide seals... which I will be doing myself, unless I want to give the machine shop and extra $36 for them to do it.. (although I just might)

So now I will have invested $386 -$420 in a run of the mill head...

Why am I doing it? Because by the time I found the problems it was cheaper to keep'er

Save yourself the trouble... Either buy a reman XFI from a parts store... or possibly an even better one from 3TP.