View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 01:57 AM   #39 (permalink)
Eek!
Blue Fat Cat

Hello from Romania, I'm the owner of the second car on LPG.

First car was a small Daewoo Matiz, 0.8l 3 cylinder car, 2005/Euro3 engine. Mileage was around 6.5 - 7 l/100km on LPG, driving 90 km/h, not a noticeable big increase in fuel for city driving, maybe going 8l/100km. I had a Tomasetto-Achille sequential LPG injection, the car started on petrol and when the coolant would reach 30C will switch automatically on LPG. The car ran fine from 2010 to 2016, bought it second hand in 2010 for about 1500 Euros, made around 60.000 km with me, no problem, then this year was scrapped (rust started to eat the car, brakes starting to fail, strange sounds from clutch) because the cost of fix the car was higher than the car itself. The engine ran very fine till the end, just eating some extra oil. Switching from petrol to LPG was only a beep, no change in engine sound, no change in speed or power.

I bought last year an Opel Corsa B 1.4i 1997/Euro2 for about 1000 Euros. Older but much serious car, i fit it with LPG right away. The instalation is Tomasetto classic, due to single injector petrol injection. Switching on LPG will begin over 2000 rpm, no matter about coolant temperature. Best technique is to let the engine warm a little before start driving, even in summer. If i start the car in the middle of the summer, switch on LPG then drive 1 km, next time the engine will start poorly. This car have 7.5 - 8 l/100km mileage driving 90-100 km/h, going to 9l/100 km city driving or highway 130km/h.

The old Daewoo Matiz was a slow car, max speed was 125 km/h on GPS, so sometimes I used to stay behind a big truck, drafting. Big trucks almost never brake without reasons and they run 90 km/l limit, but i was afraid to close-in too much because of the ****ty brakes of the Matiz. This car type is known sometimes as "the suppository", but my "suppo" was a great car for running the city streets and finding a parking spot. The little engine was not a very good fuel-saver, having a 0.8l 3 cyl. 50 hp on 800 kg car, but was reliable and never broke down.