View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 03:43 AM   #61 (permalink)
Macskyver
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Consider steel strap hinges with the hinge line below and forward of the eave line, with the leaves normally open. As the window swings open [up to 45° above horizontal] the leaves close, and there is a magnet to hold each one.

Tune the magnets' strength and if you forget and drive off with the window up, the air pressure would push it closed.
That is a good idea using magnets to hold things open and closed. I already got an air spring and am planning on using a mount that goes past center so that the spring holds the window both open and closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Honestly the eave isn't doing squat diddly....just lop it off to an inch or 2 and that'll free up space for your window. When you extend panels beyond the rest you start the diminishing returns cycle. The eave is providing a tiny gain, or, it could be costing you a tiny loss in Cd. Soooo, just get it gone and let the window flip on up.
I agree the eave probably isn't contributing significantly to aerodynamics now. It might in the future if I decide to hang a spare tire or two on the rear bumper. I like how it looks though and I like having the extra rain blocking and sun blocking function of it. Polycarbonate isn't fully UV resistant and will turn yellow eventually when exposed to direct sunlight. The real question I am battling in my head is if the eave is worth splitting up the rear window into 3 sections. I am leaning towards keeping it for now as I can always cut it off later and making a new one piece rear window would be trivial. I think I'll have plenty of left over material as well. I am so indecisive sometimes..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macskyver For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (08-20-2016), freebeard (08-20-2016)