View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

I'm happy with my 2015 Mazda 3 with the 2.0L automatic. It has a compression ratio of 13:1 but uses regular E10.

I'm mostly on the highway with A/C running all the time. My 17,000-miles average is 42.5mpg, and I'm happy with that.

I never do any advanced ecomodder techniques such as coasting with engine off since I use the car for long highway trips and it would drive me nuts to think about driving that much, not to mention all the traffic around me. I do run with tire pressure at 40psi or above, and am a moderate driver who often runs several mph below the speed limit.

On a typical 400-mile-long trip on highways with speed limits from 55 to 75 mph, I often average about 58 mph at the end of the trip because I usually cruise a bit below the limit. Red lights and heavy traffic often cut my average speed too.

The Mazda 3 is a great little car; fun to drive, pleasing on the wallet. My lifetime cents-per-mile average fuel cost with the car is currently at 4.5 cpm. As noted, this is without trying too hard.