View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck View Post
Not puzzling to me - hybrids lower emissions significantly as they optimise the running of the ICE, both how long and at what load it runs. The Toyota system augments the ICE significantly in low load / idle scenarios and plays a huge part in the overall emissions. One example is where the ICE warms up in "low emissions" mode while the electric motor / HV battery propels the vehicle.
But there's no way to check most of that except with a road/dynamometer test, and to check what happens during warm-up, you'd have to bring the car to the check station and leave it for hours to cool down before running the test. And that's Toyota: Honda's IMA doesn't even kick in unless the engine is under load.

Quote:
I know that I may seem biased as I own 2 hybrid Lexus vehicles, but the technology seems vastly superior to the Honda IMA.
I've always thought that the Toyota system was far inferior, at least as far as driveability. But that's really sidestepping the question of whether these are actually real emissions failures, or bogus ones due to Hondas being prone to throwing diagnostic codes.