View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 05:55 AM   #56 (permalink)
LittleBlackDuck
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
Such as EOC with a turbo charged rig... $1000-2500 to replace a fryed turbo. How many years is the ROI from warping the shaft 1time .(after the turbine grenades it typically wipes out the rest of the motor) a 5.9l cummins runs $4500 and up...
Yes Diesel Dave is getting 57mpg and saving bu$$ loads on fuel. How much life is going to be stripped when operator choice (not error) frags the turbo/motor the chain reaction could go as far as taking out trans ,cluch, drive shaft, ect ect.

What % of his 57mpg is from EOC under 10% is my guss that puts EOC in the same class as HHO as per OilPan not worth the time of day. (Not picking on you Oil Pan ) but single digit improvements add up. Not evry one has a brick shaped car like me , to throw an Aero Tonto cover on to see a double digit gain.

The 18.237 is my naked average.
Gumby Stay Flexible
Yep, relatively small short term gain for larger, longer term pain does not make sense to me.

One of the reasons I chose the Lexus hybrids is their great reliability coupled with much better economy. Despite trying really hard in the RX450h I have struggled to use more than 9L/100km, which is more than 30% better than its normal engined brethren. The best I have achieved was just over 6L/100km driving slowly near home. I see this as sustainable without having to *******ise any parts of the car. It also allows me to drive to the conditions and concentrate on safety instead of remembering to kill the fuel, pop the trans into neutral, hope the brakes don't run out of boost, wrestle with no power steering and still maintain situational awareness of all of the other idiots on the road.

One mod that I have not seen on this forum is the addition of an aftermarket TPMS to alert if a tyre loses air. This cost me about $80USD and would have saved a $200+ tyre. I have set the lower limit really tight, warning me if I am losing fuel economy from under inflation.

Simon