View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
S Keith
Master EcoModder

Highly unlikely they will go on sale. Within the last month, he cut prices about $20, and I doubt it's getting any cheaper to make. if anything, it's more expensive now that he's getting a custom case made.

Regardless, before you pass any current through that battery in either direction, I vigorously recommend you check all module voltages. A truly healthy battery will not self-discharge below 7.20V even if completely depleted. I personally know someone with a Gen1 battery made in 2005 that has been sitting since then - NEVER installed. All modules are still above 7.20V.

While I recommend the reconditioning package for preventative maintenance, I would not recommend you conduct the prescribed deep discharges on so lightly-used a battery... very little to be gained. I would cycle it within it's normal range 3 times prior to installation/use as follows:

Charge to peak voltage and hold peak for 5-8 hours, NTE 30 hours total.
Discharge with 2X 200W bulbs in series to 200W.
Swap out bulbs with 25W appliance bulbs and continue discharge to 185W.

Repeat the above 3 times.

Prior to installation, from the depleted state, grid charge again to peak voltage for 5-8 hours (NTE 30) and then discharge with the 2X 200W bulbs for 1.5 hours. This will top balance it for maximum life.