View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
dfeldt91
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda 3 - '06 Mazda 3 iTouring
Turtle 4 Cylinder to 2 Cylinder Project

I have been dissecting the ECU code for my 2001 Volkswagen Passat for a while now and am going to start a new project.

I am going to rewrite the ECU to turn my 4 cylinder 1.8 turbo motor into a 2 cylinder .9 liter turbo motor. I tried removing coilpacks and unplugging the fuel injectors for the third and fourth cylinders on another Passat I had but it ran really rough and wasn't drivable.

I am going to rewrite the software to ignore the O2 sensor, change the boost tables, write out two of the fuel injectors, write out the knock sensors and tell the ECU to ignore the misfires it will detect.

I am going to get the camshafts ground down for the extra cylinders, remove the valves and weld closed the hole, then modify the intake manifold so it does not have a passage to the cylinders. I'll also have to weld together a new exhaust system that only receives exhaust from two working cylinders with the nonworking cylinders being essentially open to suck in and push the air out of the exhaust side.

Has anyone done this before successfully? Either mechanically or using modified software as I am doing?