View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 04:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Did you do a control run (of any sort)?. That is, an approximation of conditions, but solo. Preferably, loaded sans trailer.

The following is said "in general" (not meant to be critical of an individual, overall):

The usual penalty on a travel trailer is a 40% in mpg (where all else is the same). 50% means there is room for improvement.

As in an adjustable hitch to level that trailer (as I advised). One axle loaded more heavily "digs". Same for engine tune, alignment perfection, tire pressures, and brake drag. Constant use of cruise control, planned stops, zero lane changes, etc. FE is cumulative. Small things really add up.

To dive deeper is to monitor average speed. Engine run time versus miles. This s revealing. My cruise is set for 67-mph on the Kenworth. But in the past eight days I've had three days of running 400-miles at an average of only 56-mph. And this on IH20. Traffic, construction and cities. It adds up. No hills of note. No major accidents. Etc.

Right off the top I'd say that while the chosen travel speed was "rational", there is still a considerable penalty in running above 60-mph. As a truck driver I can say that the "average speed" won't differ much between 58 and 63 (the range of a pickup towing -- best travel speed given stopping distance and steering needs -- but 63 will have acceleration penalty. It's too fast). 58 won't change the behavior of today's idiots. (One can add a magnetic yellow battery powered LED flasher to trailer rear for concern about other drivers). IOW, your time of travel won't change as significantly as your mpg I using 58 versus 63. And you'll damned sure never have to change lanes or slow for the majority of construction. This is vital. Leave it on cruise.

Monitoring acceleration and deceleration events is crucial. The number thereof. Then their duration and the amount of throttle or brake pressure. Etc. More is horrible. Same for number of steering corrections per 100 miles. It's measurable on mpg.

Departure and arrival times to avoid traffic. In general, off the road by about 1500. Depart early. I don't advise predawn to amateurs, but I usually cover 200-miles without traffic by 0800 leaving the truck stop by 0430. Up at 0300.

In metro areas 75-miles out from city, the distribution guys are heading back by 1500 and the earliest rush hour traffic is brewing. Traffic peaks. (Importantly, unlike yesteryear, the roads are full of idiots until past midnight. I quit by 17-1800 and my 10-hr mandatory break is then over by 0300-0400). It doesn't die off anymore. Thus, start early and quit early.

Everyone hits a wall at 300-miles. Attention wanders. The rig wanders. Things start happening a little too fast. Best to be getting ready to get off of road before traffic pressures start to spike. 300 miles or three o'clock WORKS.

I used the same trailer twice to move back and forth up the length of the Texas Gulf coast (Corpus Christi to Beaumont; and back). Made the same trip -- crossing nations fourth largest city each time) solo. Loaded (9k) and empty (7.2k). In which -- whether day or night, rain or sunshine, traffic or none -- I didn't fall below 24-mpg at 58-mph (1,725-rpm). Highs of 27 on several occasions. Planned stops, etc.

Search for best routing. Biggest road is best EVEN IF YOU TRAVEL 30-MILES FARTHER!!!! Short cuts a mistake. Know about construction. Etc. Do it ahead of time. Use truck travel plazas for fuel. On same side of road as travel. Etc.

With the same 6x6x12 trailer shown above, I saw 19-mpg empty and 18-mpg loaded. At 13k loaded. (Truck has cab high topper). Cruise on before end of accel ramp.

I had to tighten lug nuts on UHaul trailer each time, bring tire pressure up to spec (sidewall max) and explain to tech how ensure surge brake worked properly (to the point of using pump to drain and refill fluid chamber). Don't expect them to get it right.

My one ton Dodge has rack & pinion steering as well as four wheel disc brakes. Perfect alignment and no rear disc drag. No leaks in CAC system (turbocharged). Towing mirrors and seat adjusted for best driver posture. Tires to spec, not to max (braking trumps mpg). Perfectly clean glass inside and out. Etc. (Truck had about 150k on it at time). All maintenance ahead of schedule. Again, etc.

I knew my rig well enough that I was able to make a deal at the CC end of the journey on price. Thus towed that trailer two full round trips of 700-miles in a savings to rent or relinquish at other end. Fuel was near $4/gl at the time.

25% penalty even at 5k higher than normal. Pays to maintain your rig, know your stops in advance, and be disciplined. (With mountain grades it would be lower, but the principle applies).

As I need to fire up this much bigger Cummins and get on the road this morning, I'll end by saying that there is plenty of depth beyond aero help in cutting the fuel price per mile (which means cutting wear per mile) in planning a family move.

Congratulations on a successful trip. The best ones are uneventful.

Last edited by slowmover; 09-05-2016 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Corrections for clarity.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (09-06-2016), Oceanic815 (09-05-2016), seifrob (09-05-2016)