View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic815 View Post
Slowmover, this is excellent advice. Is there a thread for cross-country driving? Mods should sticky as most posts are geared for shorter distances.

We did attempt on several occasions to tail rigs to stay in their wind break without being too close to make the truckers nervous; I know that doing so is not particularly appreciated, but may have also contributed to the improved mileage on the 2nd half of the trip.
Second part first. I've posted the before. One is as close as one can be to a big truck when BOTH truck mirrors are visible to you. Too close is when I cannot see what is behind me from the Kenworth. Frankly, I think drafting a bad idea. Came upon a four truck wreck near Carrollton GA this past week. Pickup drafting first truck had both occupants killed. And fourth big truck driver was airlifted out.

Just don't. In all cases one wants MAXIMUM separation distance from others. If they're piling up around you, cancel cruise and let 'em run. Today's idiots all run up to the next guys bumper. Packs. Just learn to better read mirrors.

"Upright, and lane-centered" is rule One. Two, is separation distance. One car length per 10-miles/hr is a minmum. More than that should always be the rule.

As to big trucks. Many are governed at 65. But. For various reasons will have speed discrepancies. This they gather in packs at times. At 58 I don't have to worry about it EXCEPT when, say exiting a long 45/mph construction zone. Then I may want to run around them. If there is an ascent grade ahead, or I my exit is coming up, etc. I override 58 so as to avoid having to accelerate AGAIN leaving that zone.

That they all have to pass me again is not my concern. I save plenty of room (350/ft) ahead of first truck.

As to thread on this type of driving. I'd agree. Separates men from boys. The boys have a four passenger vehicle they be stripped to soapbox derby spec. The fathers need to load to max capacity and learn what real economy is about. In that case, FE is just one measure. Tires, brakes, suspension and drivetrain life are where it's at. The total cost of ownership per mile expressed in cents.

Get out of Dodge City, and do it well. Last minute is too late. Plan for worst and hope for best. FE is a huge part of that. And with trailers, pickups, etc, aero help is an excellent idea of it also covers load from weather and prying eyes.