Thread: GM's eAssist...
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 05:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Randy
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
This hybrid system reminds me of when GM used put an air pump on vehicles to blow air into a vehicles exhaust stream to "reduce emissions".
I'm still amazed people think that was a scam somehow. Before computer-optimized designs, engines ran rich sometimes. They could still control emissions by injecting air into the exhaust before the catalyst. That's because cats reduce pollutants easily 100:1, but only in a narrow mixture range. Emissions standards have always been per-mile and lab-grade emissions testers add air for constant volume, so extra air out the tailpipe can't even be measured, let alone game the test. It wasn't limited to GM or Ford: I had a '85 Honda Accord with a reed valve exhaust-air system (even with CVCC).

GM has had a belt assist system for a while. I think it's mainly for the hybrid badge. The problem with running through a belt is that belts will slip with torque, but don't care about speed. Electric motors can have a lot of torque, but have a low power limit. These don't mesh well. You can feel a 10 HP electric motor on the flywheel or transmission because it's instant and the engine isn't making much power at low RPM. By the time/RPM a belt can handle that, the engine is up on power and the increase is like a 10 HP nitrous shot (i.e. not worth the trouble).