View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 02:30 AM   #33 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmick View Post
The boost pressure has little to do with lag. Being a 1.6L you want all the boost pressure the engine can hold. Choose accordingly. GM's 2.0L Ecotec can be built to 1200 horsepower.
In some sense you're right. With a supercharger, when you hit the throttle the supercharger will be flowing slightly more air than it does at steady state full throttle (full boost), quickly pressurizing the plenum.

However that pressurization takes a few tenths of a second depending on how big the plenum, throttle, and supercharger are. For 0.1-0.2 extra seconds the engine will be building torque, and that is perceptible lag.

With turbos, it's even worse. I have driven the FA20DIT turbo engine in the WRX and a BMW N20 powered car before, and it takes half a second to a full second before you stop feeling the boost building. I prefer the crisp, responsive throttle of an NA engine even if it means less power.

I don't really need high horsepower, I have a < 1 ton MR2 Spyder which at 190hp is already pretty fun. I think the sweet spot is somewhere in the low 200s. I only pick a 1.5-1.6L engine because it frees up space in the engine bay a bit and fits in with the spirit of this forum (fuel economy), otherwise I would have said Honda K24, which will do 300hp naturally aspirated.