View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Try a GM LE5 EcoTec, commonly found in Malibus, G6, Cobalt, etc... It's 2.4 liters, and 175hp... A company makes off road harnesses designed to run them, and they usually come with a tuned PCM... Fairly efficient engine that makes good power, and they're plentiful and cheap... The engines in stock form will handle 8-10psi of boost just fine and make more power than you could ever really need for off roading, except maybe in the sand... Bolt up a Colorado transmission and find a transfer case doubler to gain that double low range, and run 3.55 or 3.73 gears with a 235/85-16 tire... Plenty of clearance for mild trails and enough gearing range to handle both highway driving and some tight technical off-roading... Might maybe get 20mpg highway depending on aero...

Only reason I suggested a doubler over, say, an Atlas transfer case, is the potential of running in 2wd, single low on light trails where traction isn't an issue so much as power is...

But, if you don't need a Jeep, why not lift a Subaru? How much ground clearance do you need? I imagine an older Impreza based Outback, lifted enough to clear a 215/75-15 tire, would be fine for all the off-road I have around here...

My last Ecotec project...