View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

compacts/midsizes that tow heavy w/weight distributing class 2 hitch avail?

I'm trying to compile up a list of potential future 'minor tow' vehicles for hauling my junk around. :^) I've already moved heavier than I probably should with a Saturn SL (trailer/cargo/car was 4400lbs on scales combined) but need to know what the next step up is.

The highest rating I normally ever see for FWD vehicles like minivans is 3500lbs, and sometimes small SUV's have those ratings too - but i'm not really looking for a minivan or SUV. (too wide, too tall, too low of MPG for daily driving) I'm looking for the best MPG daily driver capable of moving class 2 weights safely. I can get a class 2 folding trailer with brakes that stores easily in the garage, that's why i'm wanting to design around its limit with a 3500lb axle.

I already know about the VW Jettas and Passats who especially in diesel pull more than nearly anyone - something like 4000lbs on the Passat in Europe. What i'm curious is what else is even in the running? I'm also looking for those that support class 2 weight distributing hitches since without that it wont be as safe. (i'm no even sure if an official weight distributing hitch is made for Jetta/Passat though, anyone know??)

I saw on some european site that the new Mazda 3 series seems to tow almost 3000lbs there, which really impressed me. Mazda 3 review - Mazda tow cars | Practical Caravan It's the highest rating i've seen for a compact. They also review the Mazda 6 for 3300lbs max.

I'm just as curious about things made 20 years ago as today as I normally only use older vehicles anyways due to finances.

The easy answer is "just get a VW!" but outside of tow ability they do not always have the best reliability markers or lowest maintenance costs. :^)

Last edited by stillsearching; 09-14-2016 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: corrections