View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Best mods for my Echo?

I recently bought a 2000 Toyota Echo for my winter commuter car and around town family car. It's a high mileage standard and unfortunately I missed a few body issues on the initial inspection so I've been spending more time fixing than driving so far. On the up side, I don't have to worry about making it ugly, already is . I really wanted car I could mod and hypermile without having to worry about it too much.
I'd like some feedback about what would be the best mods and driving techniques, best bang for my buck so to speak. I'll say a little about my commute and plans for use cause I think it affects my choices. Commute is 6.4km (4 mi)each way, all in town, takes 15-20 min. Max speed is 50-60kph with 14 potential stops. There is usually 1/2 - 1 km of dead slow traffic jam each way. If the weathers good I ride my bike so it will only get used in rain, snow or below freezing weather. I don't foresee having it out on the highway very often. My trips in town are 1 - 8 km and 20 min. or less.
I'm thinking right now I need to focus on trying to get it warm as fast as possible and get it running properly. I've got a obd2 adapter on order as I already know I need it. I have my scangauge in the other car and feel lost without it.
My plans so far is get a grill block and a front belly pan asap. Install the scanguage or use the Torque app. Find a way to add insulation under the hood. Anything else you guys can think of that would be a worthwile mod for a short tripper?
What about driving techniques? What would be best to focus on? I've been trying to coast as much as I can. I tried EOC a couple of times but I am concerned that I may kill the battery if I do that on a regular basis with a short commute in cold and soon to be dark weather. Would a kill switch still be worth installing? I haven't had a car with a standard for many years and I'm assuming/hoping that I can do more to maximize FE than I could with an auto.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km