Thread: 2006 Aveo build
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
06Aveo43061
Stock MPG 22city/32 hwy

2006 Aveo build

I wanted to introduce myself and my car. Bought my Aveo brand new in late 2005. I bought the car because it was the cheapest new car I could buy (10800 USD), and replacements parts (brakes/tires ect) are super cheap, I was not concerned about MPG. On my 1st tank, I got a very disappointing 280 miles (90% freeway at 70mph). This continued on for the next 10 years, and 200,000 miles. Averaging 250-280 miles per tank, depending on weather/traffic jams, and in city driving.

Last year I decided as my drive train aged (original engine/transmission) I'd attempt to squeeze a few more years out of her by reducing weight. From there I started to replace parts with more efficient parts. Then I discovered this website and currently want to take it to the next level.

List of current mods:
-Removed Interior (down to the bare metal, no headliner, dome light or visors)
-Deleted passenger seat/rear seat
-Deleted rear speakers/spare/jack/rear trunk lid/rear trunk carpet
-Partial hot air intake (intake hole which is under my intake is plugged, only air it sucks in is from the engine compartment)
-Deleted engine cover
-Added under Hood factory insulation
-ECU reprogram (Rev limit at 4000rpm, increase air perimeters, decreased fuel perimeters)
-Upgraded spark plugs/wires
-16" aftermarket wheels (bent my original 14" wheel in the winter)

Repairs (no break downs yet, only repairs)
-4 Valve cover gaskets
-Fuel Pump at 180k
-rotors/pads at every 45k
-radiator hoses/vac line replacement at 100k

-splice pack repair (common aveo problem)
-Daytime running light module removal (recall)
-Battery every 4 years (on my 3rd, I'm due)
-Drive shaft replacement at 90k and again this june
-All new suspension (struts/springs/arms/shafts/joints/axles, literally every suspension part replaced in june)

Future mods:
-Reinstall of factory steel wheels and tire size (due for tires before winter)
-Passenger Mirror and wiper delete
-Rear wiper delete and wiper motor delete
-Removal of all manual window hardware in the passenger/rear doors (this will result in full time closed windows
-A/C delete
-Common aero mods (side skirts/partial grill block/front air dam)
-Resonator exhaust delete, with new lightweight muffler (keeping the cat)
-Radio Antenna delete
-White plasti-dip hood/roof (cooling)
-window tint (cooling)

Currently:
As of now I'm averaging 360 to 380 miles on 10 to 10.5 gallons of gas (around a 38% increase in MPG if my math is correct). I drive 85% freeway (70mph) and 15% country roads (55mph) and use no hypermiling driving (pulse and glide ect), drive 60 miles daily for my commute. I drive with the flow of traffic. Mornings, there's no traffic. Nights, it's 30-45 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic jams. My eco goal is to be able to get consistent 40mpg tanks with no driving modifications. Started to recently P&G, trying to see where I'm at currently while slightly modifying my driving style. I'm at 300 miles right now, with a quarter tank left. Think I might hit 400 miles on this tank.

I'm open to all suggestions or questions. There's pretty much nothing I haven't experienced mechanically with the aveo, so I'm more than willing to help other aveo owners with trouble shooting ect.

Thanks for reading!!!!

current pictures

Last edited by 06Aveo43061; 09-15-2016 at 07:53 PM..