Thread: 2006 Aveo build
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
I failed to respond to this:
Quote:
I have no idea what's the best method for the underbody rear end.
Here are two example from different fields of inquiry. From the race cars, a Lotus:

It accepts air that has been mangled (in the sense of rolled flat) by the bellypan and combs it into a non-turbulent wake. This is sorted out pragmatically on racetracks in the real world where fabrication is an issue. Then you have the quackademics with their wind tunnels chasing a theoretical optimum. Here's a whole thread on the Morelli fluid tail by aerohead. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ail-33283.html

Quote:
For almost a decade now I've been using the expression 'phantom tail' to describe a degree of boat tail truncation which would not affect the drag coefficient.
aerohead's active in Aerodynamics, but I don't know if he ever visits Ecomodding Central. ...and he's a little busy right now.

No fender skirts and diffuser here. The wheels are turbines that suck air into a duct that squirts it into the problematic lower corners of the ring-shaped air flow.

So there's more than one way to skin a furry mammal.

I got some commercial fiberglass fenders skirts, but they won't fit my car because the axle end impacts the skirts latching mechanism. Probably it needs a picture, but the modification I came up with (I will implement if I find them again. They're most likely here somewhere) is a tube bent to fit the contour across the bottom of the wheelwell with flattened ends. There would be brackets fore and aft with a notched, semi-circular hole. The skirt is offered up at 45° so the flattened ends slip in, but when the skirt rotates upright, they are locked in. Then a Dzeus fastener or camlock of some kind (or two) at the top to pin it there.

Coroplast harvest is [election] seasonal; coming up again in November.

Edit: Note especially the last post in the Fluid Tail thread, which is all Ecomodder member's boat tails which have the ring shape but are longer than necessary (according to Morelli )

Last edited by freebeard; 09-17-2016 at 01:35 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
06Aveo43061 (09-17-2016)