View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
CivicMPG
EcoModding Lurker

'91 Civic - '91 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
91 civic LX sedan - 5 speed

I am new to this world, I currently own a 09 Honda Accord EX-L V6. Life is changing, will be going back to school and will need to get out of car payments and also find something better on gas mileage, as I will be looking at a 120 mi a day commute everyday in the near future. So I picked me up a 91 Honda Civic LX sedan with 176k miles on it for $500. (need to sell the Accord still) But couldn't pass up the Civic. Looks to be a well kept, clean little civic, so far it is running pretty good, and am on my first fill up. The A/C does not work, which I am ok with at the moment. Next summer driving in the Texas heat I may think otherwise.

I have been trying to apply Hypermiling techniques as best I can on my 30 mile to work and back trip, 5 days a week, I got the car last Thursday, so I have only been driving it a few days. Hoping to see good results. But my 120 round trip commute may start in January, and want to look at what would work best as far as mods and techniques that I could do in preparation for that time. mainly all Hwy driving/traffic from south of ft worth to north part of dallas. I would love to see 50+mpg, is that even possible with my car? I don't have much of a budget for it.

The only 2 known issues with the car from the previous owners, are

1. the A/C does not work. Can I cut the A/C belt off and be fine till I decide what I want to do with the A/C next summer? will this affect my power steering? or is it completely separate belt?
and

2. it would stall on them sometimes, now it did stall on me when I was driving it home, and since checking, have replaces spark plugs, spark plug wires, and distributor cap- wires looked like some rats or mice had chewed to bare wires in several places. so since doing that i have not noticed any issues. Not sure if that solved it , but haven't had it stall anymore since.