View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,226 Times in 4,653 Posts
saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallen View Post
Hi fellow modders,

The time has come to replace my Golf, which got a respectable average of 50's mpg (UK) with skinny, rock hard rubber eco tyres (Mitch-y Energy Savers), occasional use of B100 biodeiesel and a few aeromods:

- Grille Block;
- tyre spats (now gone);
- under tray (now gone but saw 62mog with this on); and
- wiper cover (melted in the sun).

My new steed is a (very) old W202 C-Class running the "bullet / bomb proof" M111.942 2 litre gas engine. I've only covered 70miles so far but these cars are anecdotally good for 27(UK) mpg, so not good at all.

The CD stock is 0.32 and there's an estimated frontal area figure of 2m2-ish. There are a couple of good pics on wiki:

Given the saloon bodyshape and no hatch to stealth mount Kamm extensions to, what are my options here?

- Grille block is a possibility, the Grille is huge and the temp gauge seems to be the accurate type.

- air dam?

- spoilers / camm extensions are out of the question as I'd have to drill holes in it and it would immediately rust to nothing

- undertray? (could catch water and make rust).
If you wanted the Kamm bad enough I suppose that you could lose the lid on the boot and fabricate a Kamm extension which included a hatch for access

Your car will have reattachment,but there's nothing like a proper fastback for low drag

M-B is using the more relaxed roofline to day,plus added length for low drag

With the wings plucked off,this C-111 IV would be Cd 0.178.
BamZipPow (09-22-2016)