Thread: 2006 Aveo build
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #48 (permalink)
06Aveo43061
Stock MPG 22city/32 hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Looks like you're going to hit your 40mpg goal.

If you're pulsing between 70 and 55, I expect your average speed is doing to be a bit less than halfway between the two (due to non-linear decelaration), somewhere around 60mph. I wonder what your fuel economy would be when cruising at a steady 60mph?

Don't get me wrong, pulse and glides can help even with the engine on, but reducing speed has a tremendous impact on fuel consumption too.
Tough to really go any slower than that. After I get out of my traffic jam area, it's 70 mph, majority going 80 plus. I don't want to be too much of a safety hazard driving much slower than 60. Some days I get lucky and get behind a semi/utility truck and can go slower.

I'm in the experimental phase one of altering my driving habits. At long traffic lights before I hit the freeway, I'm now turning my car off. In the traffic jams, I'm pretty much engine on neutral gliding the whole time, never coming to a full stop, or accelerating past 2000 rpms during my mini traffic jam glides. Once I hit the flow, I start doing 70 to 55 P&G engine on, most days 60mph to 50 since traffic is pretty heavy and the pace is hovering around 65mph. Then I hit my exit, and get 7 miles of vacant country roads to do EOC. It's a mixed bag.

I'd estimate going a steady 60mph would probably give you the manufacture suggested MPG of 35 in ideal weather conditions. Previously I drove 70mph, kept up with the flow, and was getting 320 minimum-360 max. miles per tank with my current modifications. That's up from 280-310ish when I was 100% stock

Since I do drive a bit faster than most ecomodders, I really think the aero mods will pay off with my tailored P and G methods.