View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
While I wouldn't mind a newer car with some active safety features, they tend to be costly(your Lexus hybrid for example)... I travel between 20 and 30k miles a year, and the fuel savings are hard to give up... In my case, what I'm saving on fuel versus having a 100% stock car means the difference between being able to take lunch with me to work or having to do without... In the most of the year in which we don't receive snow, the one wiper does fine because I clean the windshield when I refuel, and during a rain, I can see through the droplets by focusing past them...

The higher tire pressure, while does increase braking distances, also makes the steering sharper/more responsive... Studies show that in emergency situations, the best option(given human reaction times) is to steer around the problem, rather than try and stop... This doesn't discount the new automated panic braking systems in newer cars at all, due to sensors and computer algorithms removing the human error with detecting hidden threats...

My last Ecotec project...