View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #2213 (permalink)
kach22i
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Edit: Not air cooled.
That is a reliable source of automotive information, however the original German website may have been mixing and matching different eras and photos with different models to tell a (complex) story.

The "H" model has an interesting history to say the least.

Using Google translate on paragraph after paragraph was getting tiresome, so I simply translated the word "air-cooled" and found this passage.

Die Mercedes-Benz Heckmotor-Fahrzeuge der 1930er Jahre - Initiative Kulturgut Mobilität
Quote:
Are also formed between the end of 1931 and 1934, numerous designs of small four-seat rear-engine car with air-cooled boxer engines and liquid-cooled three- and four-cylinder engines, which are placed partly in cross motors on the rear axle. Parallel to this in the same size category as well as vehicles with a front engine and front wheel drive, in this combination downright groundbreaking. Kissel encourages the front engine design, where appropriate, to have a replacement for the rear-engine car.
The vertical four liquid cooled in the red car may have an air-cooled engine style shroud ducting air to an enclosed radiator. Hence the misleading or confusing photos requiring some sort of deciphering.

Air-Cooled = luftgekühlt

Below are the two images I consider requiring some sort of explanation:

Die Mercedes-Benz Heckmotor-Fahrzeuge der 1930er Jahre - Initiative Kulturgut Mobilität

Again, I suspected these are positive or perhaps negative air pressure ducted air enclosures pushing or sucking air through the rear mounted radiator.

I consider this to be a very efficient and aerodynamic advancement.

It is not often we look under the hoods of cars in the aerodynamic forum, this case study affords us this chance.

NOTE-1: The two photos above I think show some experimentation in packaging of the air-duct and radiator location.

The wishbone frame top one looks to be a bottom discharge.

The close-up second photo a rear discharge or the far side we cannot see discharge.

I suspect the boatail roadster used the bottom discharge.

I suspect the sedan/coupe used the side/rear discharge layout.

I also could be wrong, it's just the way I would have done it considering the body shapes involved.

Note-2: These are clearly two different engines and transmissions, and probably two different model variants from which they come from.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 09-23-2016 at 09:01 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-24-2016), freebeard (09-23-2016)