View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #75 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
I didn't mention it in the last reply but in late May a fuel line started leaking. I drained and removed the tank and the issue was only a loose hose clamp. I then cleaned up the tank, patched and painted it then put epoxy on top of that. I have no idea if the patches will hold though as I only used Permatex then painted it and put epoxy on top of that. However, the holes are at least halfway up the tank so there's still a lot of room to work with even if they do leak again and the tank's not "glued" in anymore (like they often get to be on this model of auto.)

Per the roof bolts, I got them out yesterday and drove today. I haven't put silicone around the mangled roof inserts yet. Going on the same route (Approx. 15 miles with hills but overall downhill,) I got the SG2 to read higher on average than I previously was able to! Previous best (which is probably optimistic with this non-calibrated gauge): 34 AVG. New best: 34.4. However, I was going a little fast and I believe it could have been higher if I was pushing myself more. The reading on the return trip was higher too, I got the gauge to read 17 noticeably quicker and the total average for the day was just over 27. The gauge isn't calibrated properly but I haven't touched it since the last trip on the same route with the roof rack and the water temperature was colder at start than the previous trip. I do use the block heater but it's only good for maybe a 50 degree increase over several hours.

Another note: I removed the duct tape skirting months before the last reply. I thought it had an effect but Mom kept saying it looked horrible so now I'm giving thought to making skirting. There's a metal worker down the road from me who I could talk to about this. I'm also thinking of getting or making smoothie hubcaps. More importantly though I have to coat the whole underside with Fluid Film because of where I live!