View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #489 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Well so far so good. I hooked up power to the cruise control and it works quite well. For now I think the mpg reading is pretty accurate. I get a lot better idea of how my car uses gas. Also I like how I see hundredths of a gallon and how little things like going to the top of the driveway uses the same as idling over a mile down a hill up to a stop sign. And how I can get 40-50 mpg by just backing off the throttle a tad while still maintaining speed. This is gonna be great going downstate tomorrow. The instant mpg feature alone is worth its weight in gold.

Eventually Ill put it in a project box, but for now I made a case from coroplast and packing tape, and attached some mounting it so it sets right in front of me so I can still see the tach and get to the HVAC. I have attached a pic.

It still does have some issues, like the display never times out, and sometimes the buttons wont do anything unless I reset (even though the display continues to update on whatever screen it is on). I suppose it could be fixed by a small relay connected to a switched with ignition wire that cuts power to the display when the car is off. Also sometimes it shows my speed as a few mph even when I have been stopped for some time. But the mpg goes right to zero after stopping, which is more important. Maybe the speed glitch will be fixed with the new software update that was posted yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InCar.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1412  

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver