View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #68 (permalink)
MPGeo
EcoModding Apprentice

MPGeo - '93 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 67.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Here's an equation for MPH when you know GEAR, AXLE and engine RPM:

MPH = (60/(G*A))*(RPM/rpm)
Thanks for the formula... I had done plenty of math on this by making up my own formulas... which turned out were fairly accurate.

With this formula, still none of the mentioned ratios worked... I reversed the formula to solve for A, and still... I'm looking at a 2.3'ish:1 ratio depending on which 5th gear ratio I decided to use...

So something is still off... The only two variables left to play with in the formula are the accuracy of the tire rev/mile (927) and the accuracy of the tach readings... And probably my RPMs are to blame.

But thanks for the Formula. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck View Post
Simple one - is the tacho set for three cylinders? Does it read accurately when compared to a known one?

2100 rpm at 60mph on those teensy wheels sounds wrong to me.

Simon
Yeah, at first glance it seemed wrong to me too...

The tachometer is and induction type, so there are no cylinder setting... No different than a timing light.

Now you do bring a valid point in relation to its accuracy, which I had questioned as well...

I don't have any other tachometers laying around, and definitely not a 3cyl one... But I do have other vehicles with OEM tachs, the Mazda and the Disco both have wires... I can test the e-bay tach's accuracy against those two OEM tachs and see what I get. Thanks

Last edited by MPGeo; 09-27-2016 at 10:16 PM..