View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
We just bought a new camper which we love, and works well considering the max we will tow is 1000-2000 miles a year. This is a larger camper as we still have a kid at home and another close and married with a baby as well. So it's usually 6 people camping, sometimes more with a friend or two. In 11 years when I retire it should just be my wife and I, and we want to spend lots more time driving the whole US. The rest of the family will be busy working and what not so that's when something smaller would do, and getting better MPG would be a bigger factor. I am going to throw my Hemi on Craigslist and if it goes for a reasonable price I will replace it with the best diesel I can find for $15,000. Resale is so good at that point on those things, keep it nice and get most of that back in 5 years. If the Hemi doesn't sell, oh well, it is nice, adequate towing, and not costing me more than $1000-1500/yr total in gas. I like having a 3rd car around in case we have a breakdown or a friend does and needs it (which it has been loaned out more often than not.)

I tell you though, after seeing that cedar strip topper on the Tacoma, I just want to keep my Hi-Lo and rebuild an aero roof on it like that. Maybe even redo the whole thing all cedar and aero, like a Hi-Lo, combined with Airstream, mixed with 50's teardrop. Tow it with a ecodiesel, baby duramax, or MB 3.0 bluetec and be styling 25mpg.