View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #155 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Kach22i,

Thanks for the encouragement.

The half shell was an excellent compromise, as it didn’t impede normal use of the bed. Long items would fit under the fixed half shell up to 2.5’ tall, and taller items would stand up behind the shell. You could climb up in the bed to get things in and out. The one thing it didn’t provide was any weatherproof storage, which was what I hoped to accomplish with the full bedcover.

The full bedcover was designed to tilt up and open, but I haven’t had a chance to complete the opening mechanism. I actually grabbed all the materials I needed to complete that out of storage this past weekend, but once again things came up and I never had a spare minute to work on it. Without this tilting mechanism, the bed is hard to use for anything, so unfortunately the cover has been collecting dust on my porch. I hope in the next month or so to have that completed and reinstalled though.

The Tacoma project has been a good learning experience for me, but due to several reasons it is going to be superseded by another project vehicle which I aim to start around the middle of next year. Thus since I plan to only have it another year or two I am trying to limit the time and money I put into it, but I would still like to finish up my uncompleted projects that are underway. Just have to wait for life to give me a spare minute to tinker with it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-01-2016), BamZipPow (09-29-2016), slowmover (04-10-2017)