View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Managed to get a start this week on a few winterizing mods for the new toy. Still been able to ride my bike mostly so haven't needed to drive it much yet. Most mornings are near freezing now so my biking days are numbered. My old joints don't like the cold much, haha.
Changed the oil to 0w20 for winter. installed my Scangauge from my other car and set it up with Torque and a vgate adapter instead. I plan to only be driving it when we travel as it is primarily my wife's car now. Tried the Torque app in this car first but was tired of it after the first day. I do way to many short trips.
Installed a full lower grill block for it. I will need to keep an eye on the engine temps if I do take it on the highway but for now it should be fine. I can always modify it to add more cooling if I need to.

Started on my belly pan. Added the foil to try and reflect some engine heat back up and I want to add some insulation as well under the engine.

There is currently a problem with a lean burn code that I'm trying to sort out, so I'm hesitant to install it yet in case I have to change an O2 sensor. It has no driveability problems so if I can't get it sorted without spending a bunch of money, I may just leave it and see how it goes. It's nice to get going on it though.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km

Last edited by puddleglum; 10-17-2016 at 11:07 PM..