View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
MPGee
'07 Toyota Matrix - 36MPG

Small Red - '07 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 37.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
*IF* you never plan on re-installing the seats, have you thought about filling the area with expanding insulation foam (use the low-density stuff) underneath a thin sheet of plywood?
Thanks all, for your input.

So far, everything I've done to my car is reversible, should I decide to sell the car. I'm not 100% certain I want to keep the rear seats out, as my needs may change.

Old Tele Man, I've seen some pics of builds where people built a straight plywood platform, to have a level load floor. That might be OK, but I'm concerned about weight. I'm trying to lighten things - not add them back!

After a few day's contemplation, I'm trying out making the pictured area where the rear seats were as my primary cargo area; e.g., I fill that area first, when loading the car. That way (hopefully), the mass of my items helps absorb some of the sound energy. A possible issue is items sliding off the front of the seats, down to the floor, during harder stops. If this proves to be a good plan, I might cut a thin strip of plywood out as a ledge and bolt it on using the existing seat bolts & holes, and maybe even get some matching fabric to make it and the bare seat area a little more presentable.

I primarily listen to podcasts & talk radio, and it's frustrating to not be able to understand what they are saying because of road noise (and I value my hearing enough that I don't like the workaround of cranking up the volume).