Thread: 2001 Insight
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 11:35 PM   #44 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
I have an extra thermometer built into the change drawer, I wanted it to control an actuator that would open or close an adjustable lower grill block. However I haven't been able to get the materials to build such a thing. Yeah, I'm talking about something similar to the one that The Donkey CRX has in his car. Coincidentally, in 2013 I worked at a factory in Ontario where my job was to assemble aluminum control dampers, so I know how to build one, I just gotta actually get off my butt and do it. Main problem is getting the components. I need a 12v actuator that springs open on failure, it can be wired to the thermometer, it's one of those Chinese ones with the relay.

In any case, right now I hooked that thermometer for ambient air temp, and today on my drive home it was showing between 15°C and 20°C lower than the ScanGauge's °C Intake Air temp, so that means something good is happening, but what I think I need to do is put the probe inside the engine bay near the resonator to see what the bay air temp is. That way I would know how much the warm air intake improves the temperature over the air it would have sucked in otherwise. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

There check that thermometer out. This is an older picture, from before I got the ScanGauge.

To-Do:
- Re-route ScanGauge to top of dashboard through windshield defroster duct.
- Re-solder resistors inside stereo to get the display working again.