View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
stiletto2
EcoModding Lurker

The Boss Hoss is maybe interesting in a novelty sort of way and not really a very practical way to transport ones self around. But then again it was not meant to be practical in a ecomodder way.

Something as heavy as this electric bike would seem to be, just tipping over would be much more of a likely problem than being blown over. So streamlining would be worth whatever perceived excess added weight for the benefit it would provide in reducing one of the larger power robbing aspects of moving it down the road. Not to mention the added usable lockable and weather proof storage space an intelligently designed streamlined fairing could provide. They would seem to be ignoring an obvious (at least to most ecomodders) performance enhancement at their own peril IMO.

Also, it would seem to me that streamlining the tail end where the relative moving air needs to reattach to approximate laminar flow as much as possible would be more beneficial than just "rounding off" the front of the bike for rider comfort. Or am I wrong about that assumption and that the front and rear are near equal in aerodynamic drag importance?
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me