View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
samwichse
Thalmaturge

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820

CHONK - '18 Honda Clarity
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
This is the video that convinced me that the subaru would be the way to go VS the other models mentioned...

I'm a ways away from an actual purchase. Wanna save up and buy outright, whatever I get.

I guess more than anything out of this thread: How can 2 cars with the same engine/trans and weight, but different cD get the same MPG ratings?
Meh, I'd rather have front wheel drive with a good set of snow tires than a Subaru all wheel drive with four-season tires on it.

Four wheel drive does nothing for slippery handling (in spite of manufacturers suggestions that it's somehow safer). The most it can do is get you moving more easily on a slippery surface, but then not as well as a fwd car with snow tires on it. And every car made in the last 80 years has four wheel brakes.

Next time it snows, look at the proportion of cars in the ditch on the side of the road due to Awd/4wd induced over confidence. Then go buy your basic sedan/hatch a set of winter steelies and tires.

The Myth of All-Powerful All-Wheel Drive

Look at the difference in stopping distance with all season vs snow tires... really tells the story:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...snow/index.htm

Why am I comparing awd/4wd with all seasons to 2wd with snows? Because people plunk down their extra money for 4wd and think "good enough." And pay higher maintenance costs, and pay for all the extra gas they burn. And aren't any safer (or less safe considering 4wd is like the devil's right hand, it can get you into trouble but it can't get you out).

My alternative is much cheaper AND uses less gas. Especially if you're willing to swap the wheels yourself in the late fall/early spring.

Sam
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
brucepick (10-13-2016), Frank Lee (10-13-2016), oldtamiyaphile (10-13-2016), RedDevil (10-14-2016)